60% of fuel energy is lost as heat
Diesel of (natural or bio) gas engines convert the available fuel energy to power. But why not use the cooling of the motor for heating purposes? Only 40% of the available fuel energy is converted to usable power. The remaining 60% is lost as heat and in most cases can be considered as waste.
Our ORC units can recover low grade heat from jacket cooling and/or exhaust gas cooling and transform it into cost-effective electricity. What is your profit? Basically, for the same amount of fuel consumption, the electricity production increases with 5 to 10% when installing an ORC. This means that motor fuel becomes 5 to 10% more efficient and that the price per kW of produced electricity becomes approx. 5 to 10% cheaper. That’s what we call a nice profit!
Download Reference cases
- Vanheede, BE - Vanheede - Download PDF (English)
Schematic Representation of a Typical Implementation